Sunday 22 July 2012

Gifts and Prizes

The Assistant Head at the village school where I work part time retired on Friday, so I made her a little something, Happy Day from Sub Rosa ~ chart here ~ ( Happy Day for the Assistant Head that is, not for the school!), stitched on a 40ct linen from The Crafty Kitten, of which I was sure I would remember the name when I threw out the packaging. 
Guess what? 
Yep. 
Forgotten it. 
It is stitched using Carries threads in Peacock, Sapphire and erm, Slime. Horrible name, lovely colour.
I added some buttons and dyed lace instead of the border parts of the design; I'd like to pretend it was inspiration, but actually it was because I ran out of time; and finished it with the same lace and an organza bow. It's backed with the blue silk dupion it's shown on.
And yes, it should have been the April Challenge for Needlecraft Haven, but better late than never.
I also recieved an exchange gift this week (VSCyberstitchers, I showed the sent gift last week). Linda sent me this wonderful project pouch and matching biscornu.
And here is reverse of each of them, together with the contents of the pouch, some thread cards, pearl headed pins and lovely thread all in matching shades of apricot, lemon and green
Thank you Linda, they are gorgeous.


In May I entered a draw as part of the Sew Mama Sew Giveaway and was lucky enough to win a piece of sewing themed Subway Art from Heather Kojan at Quilt.Cook.Keep.
David got around to printing it onto canvas for me the other day, and here it is all stretched and mounted on my study wall.
It was Carnival Week in the village last week Eloise and Naomi entered as Harley Quinn...


and Clark Kent respectively. 
(recognise the jeans Linda?) For some reason the judges judged them as a pair, which strikes me as mixing genres, but then I'm pretty sure they didn't actually know who Harley Quinn is. Either way they must have liked them because they came home with the trophy for Best Dressed Collector.

11 comments:

DUSTY said...

I like the little gift, Christine, the colors and finish are wonderful. Your stitching bag is great, lucky you. The costumes the girls are wearing look good, congrats on their win.

Julie said...

Pretty gift for your leaver.
The girls look wonderful, congrats on their win.
Super stitchers pocket from the exchange and congrats on our win.

Mouse said...

ooo pretty gifts and love those costumes :) wish I could get in the harlequin one ...lol
love mouse xxxx

cucki said...

Aww it is such a cute gift..
The girls looking so lovely..congratulations xxx

Linda said...

The going away gift is sweet. As I scrolled down your post, I recognized the jeans and had to scroll back up to see them. :-D
In the exchange, I received a pair of biscornu; I guess it is time to post a picture on my blog. The DMC metallic expressions makes very good ornament hangers.

Barb said...

Christine Happy Day is lovely and it made me smile the thread being called slime.
Lovely pics of girls and Wow love the canvas.
Going to do a blog post now there maybe something you like on there lol.

Sally said...

Lovely gift for the assistant head.

What a lovely exchange you received.

Fantastic photos of the girls.

Dani - tkdchick said...

what a nice little retirement gift!

Lovely exchange nice pouch!!!

Heidi Kuijer said...

What a beautiful little piece and I am sure she will love the gift. I LOVE that sewing art. What a wonderful thing to hang in a quilt/craft studio.
I think you are about the luckiest person around with winning giveaways.

The optical migraines used to be triggered by light too for me but I have been getting them too often ... up to three in one day. Since I started the aspirin, I have not had a single one so they are helping. The thin the blood in the brain which is what they think causes them. You said had so do you not get them anymore? They are not painful so just a pain in the neck while you wait for them to pass. :-)

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The Sub Rosa looks great in those colours. I bet she loved it.
The print is terrific, perfect for you!
And your girls look fantastic too.

Eszter/SubRosa said...

Dear Christine, your "Happy Day" gift is beautiful. I like these colours and the little buttons,too.
Have a nice weekend♥
Hugs
Sub Rosa