Monday 18 March 2013

Bringing a Little of That Spring Indoors

Since the garden was feeling all "springified" I figured the house could do with it too. This is my beautiful Sylvac jug full of tulips. There is a story relating to the jug. Many years ago, when my Mum was unmarried and still living at home (probably around 1948) my Grandad happened to go into the big department store in Sheffield, where they had a large and carefully arranged pile of jugs on display with a sign advertising "any jug" at some cheap price. All the jugs were plain white except for a tiny number of coloured ones at the very bottom of the pile. Yes, you've guessed it. Grandad dismantled the entire display to get to the coloured ones and bought three, one for Grandma, and one each for my Mum and my Aunt for their bottom drawers.
I love that jug.

I made this spring runner after seeing an idea on Flamingo Toes. Mine is made from pieces from a couple of vintage sheets and some 60s or 70s fabric from my Mum's extensive stash, the only thing I bought was the pompom trim. I have decided that I LOVE pompom trim, but I hate sewing it.

And finally, my spring mantelpiece, very simple with a felt flower garland (bought, shame on me!) and a few little eggs

13 comments:

Katherine said...

What a delightful story Christine. Very charming. Our temps are below freezing and we've had another coating of snow - again! Heard the weatherman this morning reflecting on our late arrival of spring weather that we might be about two weeks off the "norm". Stupid Groundhog! Love your spring runner. Have you seen the pom pom trim they make that looks like bats? For Halloween?

geeky Heather said...

That's a great story about the jug. I decided I love your grandpa! =)

Barb said...

OH that is treasure indeed Christine, what happened to the others.
like the runner and the bought flower garland.
Take care.

cucki said...

Yup a very nice story about the jug..love your grandpa..
Big hugs x

Julie said...

I love your jug, and the little story makes it even more special. I too have so e beautiful pottery pieces that belonged to family.
Your spring mantle looks beautiful.

Heidi Kuijer said...

Spring has sprung at your house. I wish we were farther with our daffys in the garden but the weather is still cold here. That vase is BEAUTIFUL!

Love the tablerunner...great job.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Kaisievic said...

Lovely story about the jug, so sweet of your grandpa and your Spring mantelpiece is very elegant.

Stitchingranny said...

Stories like that make the simplest piece priceless and I am sure in years to come your daughters will still be telling the story as they proudly show of their jug.
Im not bothered about getting spring in the house lol just getting it all clean and straight again, ive forgotton what normal is.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your home is looking very spring like! I think winter is refusing to go away around here!

Sally said...

It's definitely looking very springlike in your home. Lovely story about the jug. It is pretty.

Carol said...

I'm so glad your Grandad took the time to claim that pretty jug for himself, Christine--what a treasure!! The tulips are wonderful in it; in fact your whole house is looking very spring-like :)

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely story about your Grandpa and the Jug. It looks beautiful with the tulips in. Your mantle and runner look great too.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What is this Spring of which you speak?
Your Grandad was obviously a very thoughtful man with an eye for a bargain.